I was sitting in a meeting recently with a group educators and we were talking about the impact of the new Common Core State Standards (CCSS) on early childhood. I mentioned that I had spent the summer on a state committee looking at our preschool language arts standards and making sure they are preparing a child for success in meeting the new standards when she attends kindergarten. Our committee discovered that our preschool standards were very strong in preparing a child for that success. We also discovered, however, that we did need to change some terminology and begin to help educators make that smooth transition from preschool to the CCSS in kindergarten. We also learned that it will be good practice to begin to talk more about fiction, non-fiction and the writing process, which in preschool is drawing and responding to stories and texts.
Welcome to Earlychildhood News!Earlychildhood News is the online resource for teachers and parents of young children, infants to age 8. You'll discover great ideas for your classroom and home!
Notable Quote"Man's heart away from nature becomes hard." Standing Bear
Find us on Facebook!
- Classroom Environment Inspiration! Art Supply and Natural Loose Parts Storage by @thelearningloftpreschool… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- #STEM Customer Activity @littleseedsandpeterpan Construction with Clay//Sensory experiences encourage more experi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- #STEAM Customer Tip by @figmentcreative Have you read the beautiful book #elmer by #davidmckee? #Teachers… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- BioColor® Frozen Pop-Paint Children can express with this frozen paint in wonderful #STEAM exploration #biocolor… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Diversity in Early Childhood Programs By Francis Wardle bit.ly/2vo1cRY #ecnews #colorations… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 days ago
Watch Our Videos!Click here to watch our YouTube videos!