This is a great activity for kids and adults alike! Go on a nature walk, collect items, and make a piece of art!
Repositionable Clear Con-Tact® Cover (SROL)
Colorations® Comfort Grip Blunt Tip Scissors (PGRIP)
Colorations® Acrylic Yarn (YARN)
One Hole Punch (OHP)
Colorations® Extra-Safe Plastic Glitter (GL)
- Show some examples of the things you’d like the children to look for on their walk: small flowers, leaves, etc. Discourage them from choosing sticks or thick items (pinecones, etc) – explain that flat things will work better for your project.
- Take your group on a nature walk. Encourage them to gather interesting items, such as single flower petals, a dropped spray of pine needles, etc.
- Place in front of each child one sheet of clear, self-adhesive paper, sticky side up. Allow the children to place flowers and other items and arrange them as they’d like.
- “Sandwich” the cover with another piece, top side down. It’s best if an adult does this.
- Trim any excess if needed.
- Use as a place mat at the dinner table or as a hanging nature window by punching holes in the top and stringing yarn from the holes to hang it on the wall.
- You can use the “sandwiching” technique with many other items! “Capture” and display pieces of colored paper, glitter, sand, etc.